Thursday 8 April 2010

I'm not a big fan of the Daily Telegraph, but .........

I'm not a big fan of the Daily Telegraph, but an article by Benedict Brogan caught my eye today. Here is the link to it and to the on-line comments that it has encouraged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7564975/General-Election-Look-beyond-the-spin-to-find-candidates-with-character.html

My own on-line comment picked up and ran with a phrase of Mr Brogan's, as follows:

"... hardly worthy of the Midlothian campaign."

"Sums it up in a nutshell. It's all spin and no substance now and, like him or not, William Ewart Gladstone was substantial. In my younger day, our Conservative MP, Francis Pym, as well as canvassing every day, addressed four public meetings every evening during his election campaigns. I know: I was his 'warm-up' speaker on many occasions. Those meetings gave a chance for ordinary people to debate with their MP/candidate and I recall right royal debates in many a village hall. Now, the Bullingdon Boy Tories and their silly posters are supposed to swing opinion. I don't believe it - and they won't swing it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.