Wednesday 14 April 2010

I truly touched history at Waterbeach today

I feel that I truly touched history at Waterbeach today. I canvassed and delivered special Waterbeach leaflets in the village, finding that many of my main policy leaflets had already been delivered by Royal Mail - thanks to the organisation and to our local 'posties' - but when I looked round for the sights of Waterbeach in order to picture them for this blog and for my national and international readers, it immediately struck me that I ought to get a shot of Waterbeach Baptist Church, for it is famous. Here it is.






















Not a great picture, you may say, and you are right, for I would have had to climb a nearby tree to get the perspective right, but I still couldn't resist it. And, what is more, I couldn't resist photographing - and touching - one of the foundation stones of this famous church. The stone (see below) was laid in 1863 by no less than the Revd. Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834 - 1892) who started his preaching and pastoring life at Waterbeach.


















For more on the life and work of Mr Spurgeon (above), go to -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.