Sunday 21 February 2010

A Woollard family birthday

On the 21st of February, 1875, there was born at Church Farm, Croydon-cum-Clopton, Cambridgeshire, Walter Clifton Woollard, my late grandfather. He died in January, 1942, following a motor accident (my Aunt Joan, who was driving, was also killed) on the A11 Newmarket/London road near what was then the Balsham/Fulbourn cross-roads. He farmed at Downing College Farm, Swaffham Bulbeck, and Chalk Farm, Bottisham. By all accounts, he was a highly regarded farmer and a gentleman. Sadly, I have only vague memories of him.

The picture above is of my grandfather, my late grandmother, and my late father as a child. It would have been taken in about 1910 at Downing College Farm. If my dating is right, the picture is about 100 years old.

The other picture (below) is of a view from Croydon-cum-Clopton - a high point in our County - of the flat Cambridgeshire countryside. I thank the anonymous photographer for it. I found it on 'the net.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.