Saturday 20 February 2010

There aren't enough hours in the day!

I've come to the conclusion that there aren't enough hours in the day. The campaign went to Ely this morning and, the City being busy on a Saturday, we met hundreds of people and handed out hundreds of leaflets. The trouble was that I have to be elsewhere this afternoon and have just snatched some lunch at home before heading off again.

The first task at Ely was to visit Oliver Cromwell's House. As a member of East Cambridgeshire District Council and as honorary treasurer of the Cromwell Association, I was pleased and proud to be one of those who ensured that the District Council purchased the historic house and did it up to make an excellent attraction for visitors and a Tourist Information Centre.

A lady member of the TIC staff kindly took my picture alongside 'Mr and Mrs Cromwell' and I should add that I don't normally keep company with dummies, but these are special ones, though I couldn't get a word out of them.

I next traipsed the streets and met a large number of people, most of whom, like me, said that they were fed up with all of the major political parties. In my opinion, the disillusionment of the public with all politicians is an extremely serious matter. This disillusionment and downright distrust must be transformed so that, once again, electors will feel confident about and trusting in their representatives in Parliament. I have never, ever, experienced anything like this before. Disillusion and distrust with regard to individuals, yes, but it appears that many now hate the lot of them.

Of course, as an independent candidate, I shall be the beneficiary of this in South East Cambridgeshire and I am only too conscious of the responsibility of restoring that much-needed trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.