Monday 1 February 2010

Another tour of part of South East Cambridgeshire

The actual date of the General Election has not been announced but many believe that it will be held on Thursday, the 6th of May. Bearing that in mind and bearing in mind the continuing need for me to hear about what is on the minds of the electors of South East Cambridgeshire, I went on another canvassing tour of the constituency today, this time to Balsham, Great Abington, Linton, Little Abington, Six Mile Bottom, Swaffham Bulbeck and West Wratting.

I did most of my work at Linton and first I stopped by the house where lived for many years my great uncle, Frank Woollard (1876 - 1956), and, quite nearby in Mill Lane, where lived some of Sue's Reeve ancestors. We both have family links with Linton, Sue even more than I.

The canvassing went well and, among the points put to me were the following:

Afghanistan, the present Government, Afghanistan, the future Government, Afghanistan, MPs' expenses, Afghanistan, the planned wind farm, Afghanistan, Tony Blair and the Iraq Inquiry, Afghanistan, a useless local councillor (not named here, but I know the name), Afghanistan, Rhodesia (yes, not Zimbabwe), Afghanistan and, oh yes, Afghanistan.

I am not playing games here. Nine of ten of the people I spoke to - and I must have spoken to a hundred or more, whilst many of my leaflets were being delivered in different parts of the village - wanted to discuss their concerns regarding our involvement in Afghanistan. Many agreed with my line, which is that we should bring our boys home as soon as we can. I will move heaven and earth to make it happen.

My picture is of the very old and very charming Dog & Duck pub in Linton's High Street and was taken at about 4.30 p.m. What winter sun there was left was going down, hence the long shadows.

Much of Linton is both old and charming and the newer parts of the village are attractive, too. If elected, I shall be pleased and proud to represent the people of Linton in Parliament.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.