Wednesday 10 February 2010

The SaveTheFarmland E-Petition is going great guns!

I'm pleased to report that the new SaveTheFarmland E-Petition is going great guns. It only went 'live' on Monday but it has already attracted 40 signatures including, significantly, Lord and Lady Fairhaven, formerly of Anglesey Abbey, Lode, and now of Kirtling.

I know for a fact that his Lordship and her Ladyship still care deeply for the villagers of Lode & Longmeadow and those who would be adversely affected by what would happen - indeed, what is happening - as a result of the National Trust's ill-conceived so-called 'Wicken Vision.' I am proud to number the Fairhavens among my friends and am so pleased that they still live in 'my' constituency.

Incidentally, I am also old enough to recall with affection and respect the late Lord Fairhaven - Urban Huttleston Rogers Broughton, 1st Baron Fairhaven (1896 - 1966) - who was born at Fairhaven, Massachusetts. His late Lordship was a great benefactor to Lode and to the locality. He was also heavily involved with Bottisham Village College, as was I.

The magnificent Anglesey Abbey property and its equally magnificent contents belong now, for good or ill - and it's mostly for good - to the National Trust.


Heigh-ho!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveTheFarmland/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.