Wednesday 13 January 2010

My late mother


As I have mentioned my late father several times on this blog, it seems only fair and appropriate that I should also bring my late mother to my readers' attention. She was born Helen Lambert Little (and was always known as Betty) 99 years ago to the day, the 13th of January, 1911. Sadly, she is no longer with us as she died at the Lansdowne Nursing Home at Newmarket on the 10th of February, 1994, at the age of 83. My mother was actually a Hertfordshire-born girl, of half Scots and half-English parentage. That makes me one fourth part Scots. My mother's father (my grandfather), Mr John Little (1875 - 1963), married her mother (my grandmother), Miss Emma Florence Chalkley (1870 - 1944), at All Saints' Church, Datchworth, Hertfordshire, on the 22nd of April, 1901. The Scots Littles farmed, as did the Hertfordshire Chalkleys. My father married my mother on the 3rd of April, 1937, at St. Mary's Church, Stapleford, Hertfordshire. They had me in April, 1938, and my sister in September, 1943. The picture shows my mother with my sister and myself in, I would guess, mid-1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.