Thursday 7 January 2010

And another good letter in the Ely Weekly News!


Though I say it myself, there's another good letter in the Ely Weekly News:

"Worms make up new finds

Sir, I hadn't planned to write to you this week but then I noticed the National Trust's latest and most pathetic publicity blurb and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

The trust now boasts of 8,230 species 'new to the records' in its so-called 'Wicken Vision' area. Fine. Good. Well done.

But look closely at the small print, dear editor and readers. The 8,230 include '43 species of lichen and 35 species of nematode worm.'

I make just three points:

First, I really don't care how many lichens and nematode worms the National Trust has in its Wicken jungle.

Second, if these lichens and nematode worms are 'new to the records,' I guess that said lichens and nematode worms have been there all the time - hiding from the National Trust record keepers.

And, third, I say, 'What's the big deal?'

Geoffrey Woollard
Chapel Farm
River Bank
Upware."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.